Entirely London


Thursday September 20 2018

Alcohol licensing explained ...

Its a dream that many hold running a pub or restaurant - whether its an ultra-modern gastro pub, a cosy inn with a log burner, or a top of the range eatery.

Alcohol licensing explained ...

However, for many, the first stumbling block for any business wanting to sell alcohol can be the licensing procedures.

Here, Flogas, who specialise in business gas, have broken down some of the key points:

General rules

If you’re opening or running a business in England and Wales that is going to sell or supply alcoholic drinks, you must have a licence that has been authorised by the licensing authority. This is usually a local council and the legislation is overseen by the Home Office. It is defined as follows:

1.       Businesses that sell or supply alcohol on a permanent basis, such as pubs, need to apply for a premises licence.

2.       Those who plan to authorise the sale of alcohol must apply for a personal licence, alongside the premises licence, if they are also the owner of the business in that premises.

Alongside the payment that’s required, you’ll also have to complete an application form and send it to your local council. As well as the local authority, you will also have to send your application to the police and other responsible authorities; these responsible authorities can include:

·         Local fire and rescue

·         The primary care trust (PCT) or local health board (LHB)

·         Environmental health authority

·         Planning authority

·         Local trading standards

·         Any other licensing authority in whose area part of the premises is located.

Premises licences

This licence, simply put, authorises the use of any premises for any activities that involve the sale of alcohol. To successfully apply for this licence, you will have to provide the following information:

·         General information regarding the premises such as the address.

·         Your details as an applicant.

·         The operating schedule, including the date you want the licence to start from on the premises.

·         You should indicate what licensable activities you wish to carry out by ticking the appropriate boxes on the form. You should also indicate what days and times you want the licence to be active from. This also includes the provision of regulated entertainment, such as indoor sporting events, live music and recorded music.

·         Under the new licensing laws, you should also stipulate who you wish to be the designated premises supervisor (DPS).

·         The opening hours of your premises.

·         How you intend to promote the four key licensing objectives, which are: the prevention of crime and disorder, public safety, the prevention of public nuisance, the protection of children from harm.

·         The planning of the premises and any advertising on or around the premises that you wish to use.

Personal licences

In a pub, your general staff aren’t required to hold a personal licence, but it is necessary that all pubs do have to have a premises supervisor that holds a personal licence.

You would also need to apply to be a personal licence holder if the pub was your own business. Furthermore, anyone who works in a pub should be authorised to do so by the personal licence holder.

But note, it’s important to take into consideration before applying that anyone running or managing a pub or restaurant should do so in a professional fashion.

With the information provided, you should now know all you need to get started with your application in the hope that one day you’ll be pouring the pints in your own pub or eatery — cheers!

"Wine is sunlight, held together by water."

DISCLAIMER: The statements, opinions, views and advice expressed in this article are those of the author/organisation and not of ENTIRELY. This article should represent information correct at the time of publication however whilst every care has been taken to present up-to-date and accurate information, we cannot guarantee that inaccuracies will not occur. ENTIRELY will not be held responsible for any claim, loss, damage or inconvenience caused as a result of any information within this article or any information accessed through this site. The content of any organisations websites which you link to from ENTIRELY are entirely out of the control of ENTIRELY, and you proceed at your own risk. These links are provided purely for your convenience and do not imply any endorsement of or association with any products, services, content, information or materials offered by or accessible to you at the organisations site.


Discover our Industry Magazines

Discover our UK Regional Magazines

North West Business News, Jobs and Events | Entirely North West UK
East of England Business News, Jobs and Events | Entirely East England UK
Ireland Business News, Jobs and Events | Entirely Ireland
London Business News, Jobs and Events | Entirely London UK
Midlands Business News, Jobs and Events | Entirely Midlands UK
North East Business News, Jobs and Events | Entirely North East UK
Scotland Business News, Jobs and Events | Entirely Scotland
South East Business News, Jobs and Events | Entirely South East UK
South West Business News, Jobs and Events | Entirely South West UK
Wales Business News, Jobs and Events | Entirely Wales
Yorkshire Business News, Jobs and Events | Entirely Yorkshire UK